Monday, March 7, 2011

Running On Empty

Here's an update on my resolution to run a 5k this year. Well I'm still doing it! I'm taking it slow and am up to running at least a mile 3 days a week or so. So I'm about a third of the way there. I think this is pretty good. The problem is that I'm always exhausted when I finish. I mean I would think that it would become a little easier. Maybe it's the time of day I run, but I do change it up. Maybe it's my schedule, but I'm pretty routine except when it rains and is super cold because I just can't stand it! What's up with that? I'm frustrated but I am more determined than ever to do this.

Last month as part of our health insurance program, Michael and I had our free health screening by county nurses. They check your weight, blood pressure and do some basic blood work to find out about things like cholesterol and triglycerides and such. I have never had that done before. Turns out that my weight is okay(though it would probably be healthier if I lost 15-20 pounds), blood pressure is excellent, good cholesterol is good, but my triglycerides and bad cholesterol is really bad. This really freaked me out.

I know I eat too much. My husband is an AMAZING cook and he is a true Southern gentleman and we eat too many fried and fatty foods. We vowed to eat only one helping at meal times and to start exercising the three times a week she said too. I feel the improvements already but gosh darn it, I've been super cranky!!!! That first dinner time afterwords I snapped at Michael and he asked what was wrong. I threw myself on the bed and burst into tears and said I didn't know. Then all of sudden it came to me and I blurted out, "I"m annoyed because I want to eat!" Am I that spoiled that I turn into a brat when I can only eat one helping?

Darn it cholesterol! At least it keeps me motivated...5k I'm coming to get ya!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the 5k! I remember I first started running when Keith and I were getting in shape for our wedding. After a few months I did a 4-mile run and I was amazed that I had gone that far!

    A few years later, I ran my first half-marathon (13.1 miles). It's a sport that is always challenging, and you always feel better if you just get yourself off the couch and do it. Keep it up!

    (So says the Clevelander who hasn't run since last October. I hate running in the snow! But hopefully the snow will melt, for real this time, and I can start again soon:)

    ReplyDelete