Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cabbage Patch Kids And Coffeemakers

I just got back from my mom's for a week because my brother, his wife and his two kids were visiting. My niece is now 4 years old and my nephew is 15 months. They are adorable! Being around such young children really makes me think about what excited me as a kid and how I couldn't understand how these adults didn't like the things I liked because what I liked is the most awesome thing ever. For example, I remember saying to myself when I was like 8 that I could never see a time when I didn't want a toy for Christmas. Clothes and practical things were boring. Why did my mom get excited when she opened her new coffeemaker? It wasn't a new Cabbage Patch Kid so it wasn't awesome.


Abby and Brady were obsessed with the park. Dothan has this new park that is made for all kids but especially for handicapped children. It is wheelchair accessible and has soft rubber ground so the kids won't get hurt. I have never seen this before and think it's brilliant. You should have seen their faces light up. We went everyday. Abby also got so excited playing with Alli. She couldn't get enough of throwing the ball to her.

Perhaps my favorite part was taking Abby to see Gnomeo and Juliet. I haven't seen a kid movie in the theater in at least a decade and a half so it really took me back. It was a real cute movie, but Abby was even cuter. She was so elated to get some candy and a soda and we had to sit in the front row. My niece is extremely tiny for her age(my nephew, on the other hand, eats more than I do at 29!) so she almost couldn't sit in a chair by herself because she didn't have enough weight. But her face was priceless. I love being an aunt!!!

It was so refreshing having some pure kid time. It makes me think about my own kids someday and what will make them happy. I hope they hold onto those Cabbage Patch Kid days in lieu of coffeemakers and the practicality of adulthood for as long as they can.

On a side note: I finished the second Dragon Tattoo book. It was better than the first and I got the third book. I will take a break from it, but I will eventually read it and do a post on the whole trilogy. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment