Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mary B., Queen of Bama

I'm reading this book right now, Interred With Their Bones, by Jennifer Lee Carrell. It's like a Shakespearan Da Vinci Code. I like these books where they use history and literature to solve puzzles and go on an adventure. In this book they are trying to find an original copy of the play The History of Cardenio which was attributed to Shakespeare and a man named John Fletcher in 1613. It is considered a lost play. I had no idea this play even existed before. I'm halfway through so we'll see what happens.

Reading this book just makes think about this period in the world. I think if I had a time machine I would definitely visit Elizabethan England. Queen Elizabeth I was a sassy lady. First of all her dad, Henry VIII, wanted a son to rule but he got his daughter, who ruled until 1603. She didn't need a husband, she was an original sista doing it for herself. There are some who even believe she  wrote Shakespeare's plays. Plus she has auburn hair, pale skin and dark eyes. Hello, that describes me! :)

I don't know if I could have ruled an entire country, but it would be interesting to see her in person. I bet she was a bad ass. Just a hunch. :)

2 comments:

  1. That book was a lot of fun! Have you read Jasper Fforde, Thursday Next novels? I read a couple over the summer and liked them. The Cardenio play also figures prominently in one.

    ReplyDelete