Monday, February 14, 2011

Getting In Touch With My Roots

I am determined to have a garden. I live in the country and I feel that we have plenty of space for it. Actually, Michael started a garden a couple of years ago but let it grow in when I moved around this time last year since we spent so much time getting settled. That made it only slightly easier this weekend when the warm weather prompted us to go outside and get the plot ready for planting.

Gardening is something I have never done. I didn't grow so urban that we didn't have grass or land, but it was mostly asphalt and my parents had 4 kids to look after and 2 full time jobs so it was never something we did. Let me tell you it's hard!!! Michael and I were hoeing, raking and tilling for 6 hours in our 16 x 12 plot!!! We had to get all the roots up from where we had let it grow in. I am still sore today and it's 2 days later!!!

I realize that I love the feeling of digging in dirt and pulling up roots. It's very liberating digging with my hands and getting a stubborn root and yanking it up! I love showing those things who's boss! It was really cute because Alli and Gumbo helped too. They loved laying in the turned over land because it was especially cool.  And they would play by digging. My little black puppy's face was sprinkled with brown dirt. Precious.

Now we are deciding what to plant. We have four rows. We know one will be squash and one will be tomatoes.this summer We are thinking that 2 rows will be sweet corn first this spring and then something else this summer. In the fall we are thinking turnips and cabbage but we have more space. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted a garden even though I have bad spring allergies. It's definitely hard work. I'm all about tomatoes and squash. Maybe some cucumbers? Nom!

    ReplyDelete