Thursday, January 20, 2011

Baker's Banana Bread

I was named after my great-grandmother. That's my mother's mother's mother. I'm Mary Welby, my mom and grandmother are Janet Welby and my great-grandmother was Mary Welby Baker. I hear that I am so much like her and I like to believe it. My mom likes to tell me about the summer she spent with her in her house in Florida toward the end of her life. There were lots of grandkids and my mom felt blessed to have some time with her after my mom had spent time abroad in South America. I like to imagine what their time together was like.

I never met her. But my mom did find a picture of her with my great-grandfather Orville(it seems to me that all men at the turn of the century were named Orville..now, not so much) on their wedding day. She gave it to me at one of my bridal showers. It's on my bookshelf, I look at from time to time. She seemed like an awesome lady and I think I did resemble her for sure.

Anyway, since I am getting in the recipe mood since naturally now I am a housewife and I am nesting, I asked my mother for her banana bread recipe. Man it is serious good stuff!!!! It was so good when I was growing up that I would eat a piece and then lick my fingers when I was done. THAT'S GOOD!!!

My mom wrote me an e-mail with the recipe and mentioned to me that it was Mary Welby's recipe. It makes me happy that I loved it like she loved it. Michael was sure that he would not think it was the best ever because he knows what's best but he agreed that it was finger-lickin' good. Gumbo even gave his approval...it was on the counter and he jumped up and licked what was remaining, though Michael and I had no more after that:)

It's neat how you can have a connection to people you have never met through stories and food and traditions. I definitely feel I know her a little better. Maybe if I am blessed to have a daughter she will get the recipe. In honor of the tradition, I'm going to pass it along right now. Let me know what you think!



BANANA BREAD
(this recipe is not to be taken strictly and can be with whatever is handy)

INGREDIENTS


½ cup shortening, 1 stick margarine or 1 stick butter
1 cup sugar (brown, white or raw)
2 eggs
5 bananas (extremely ripe) mashed
2 cups flour (sifted) (bleached or unbleached)
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Baking soda
1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
2/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)  pecans, walnuts, almonds or whatever kind
2 quart loaf pan

METHOD


You need two mixing bowls.  The smaller should be used for preparing the dry ingredients and the larger one for assembling the batter.  First, in the larger bowl let the shortening, butter or margarine get soft naturally.  Do not microwave.  When soft add the sugar and cream well.  Add the eggs and beat. Add the mashed bananas and mix. Add vanilla.  In the other bowl combine the flour that has been sifted, the salt, and the baking soda.  Mix dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir thoroughly. Add nuts. Place the mixture in the loaf pan and bake in a 300 to 325 degree oven for at least one hour.  Use a clean toothpick in the center of the loaf to determine how long to bake.  Toothpick should come out clean and not with dough on it.  It is important to use a lower temperature and longer cook time if you want a moist loaf.  I usually had to bake it longer than one hour but ovens vary so check it.  Take the loaf from the oven and set it out to cool.  You need to leave it for at least one hour.  Remove from loaf pan and keep in refrigerator till serving.  It slices better if it is left for one day before cutting but it can be served the same day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment